A variety of lasers are now the main-stay of dental treatment. Almost every aspect of dental care can be enhanced with adjuvant laser therapy. The Advantages include:-
- Painless, bloodless procedures and surgery
- Local anesthesia injections can be avoided in most cases
- No stitches required
- Reduced need for post-operative antibiotics and painkillers
- Reduced post-operative swelling and discomfort
- Quicker recovery
Few important applications of lasers in dentistry are:-
- Reducing sensitivity of teeth (Laser desensitizing) – When multiple teeth are sensitive due to gum recession or excess enamel wear, dental laser can significantly reduce the sensitivity.
- Laser Bleaching – Tooth whitening done with lasers, leads to lesser sensitivity when compared to the conventional method. Leads to lesser post-operative sensitivity.
- TMJ Pain – Lasers are shown to be very effective in treating joint pains
- Cavity Preparations – done by laser avoid the use of a drill; hence eliminate the sound and vibrations. Have reduced post-operative sensitivity
Class V Cavity (Decay) Cavity Filled
- Growth Removal – Painless removal of small growths in the mouth.
Benign Tumor – Lower Lip Tumor Removed with Laser
Inflamed Gum Tissue Inflammation Removed
- Laser de-pigmentation – Lightening of dark gums
- Laser frenectomy – to remove frenal attachment between the lip and teeth
- Laser Curettage – Conservative Treatment of Infected Gums
- Laser Gingivectomy – Reduction of Excess Gums/Gummy smile treatment
Overgrown Gum Tissue Removed Gum Tissue
- Treatment of Apthous Ulcer – Reducing Pain in an ulcer by disinfecting it and coating it with laser
- Laser Assisted Root Canals – Highest levels of sterilization in a root canal are achieved with lasers
- Treatment of white lesions – Early lesions can be removed using lasers(pre-cancer treatment)
White Lesion White Lesion Removed
- Laser Uncovery of Implants – Painless, Bloodless technique used to uncover an implant for impressions
- Treatment of Diseased/Infected Implants – Implant failure can be avoided if implant infections are treated early.
- Pediatric Dentistry – Painless procedures for children